The A&T Register is the student newspaper for the campus of North Carolina A&T State University. The Register was first published in 1894. The paper began continuous publication in 1915. View the timeline here.
In 1970, The Register acquired equipment enabling its staff to perform functions of newspaper production. Only thing the staff was not able to do was print its own publications. In 1985, the student newspaper grew so much that the Register Staff House was established. Today, the Register is located in Room 328 of the General Classroom Building and publishes most Wednesdays during the academic year. Over the years, the staff has accumulated numerous awards and has been regarded as one of the best HBCU newspapers in the country.
The staff continues to build on the history of excellence. Our awards include …
2015-2016 Academic Year
GREENSBORO, N.C. — The A&T Register took home three awards from the 2014 N.C. College Media Association contest.
Due to enrollment size, The A&T Register competes against the Daily Tar Heel and N.C. State’s Technician. The N.C. C.M.A. awards presented to The A&T Register are:
Third Place, Photography, “Aggies meet UNC on the field” by Alexis Wainwright
Third Place, Cartoon, “The Mixtape Told Me So,” Adaria Coulter
Honorable Mention, Illustration/Graphic, “THC and its effect on the brain,” Taylor Wilson
2014-2015 Academic Year
- Honorable Mention, Design Second Place, Feature Writing Second Place, Opinion Writing, awarded to Shelby Ivey Christie.
- Honorable Mention, Illustration/Graphic Design, awarded to Taylor Wilson
2013 – 2014 Academic Year
N.C. College Media Association
The N.C. College Media Association conference was canceled due to the weather but the contest results were released.
The A&T Register competes in the 6,500+ enrollment category.
The N.C. CMA awards presented to The A&T Register are:
- First Place, Newswriting, “Police brutality in Greensboro” by Laci Ollison.
- Second Place, Opinion Writing, “Can your name negatively affect your future?” by Kourtney Pope.
- Honorable Mention, Single or Two-Page Design, Karmen Robinson and Taylor Wilson
- Honorable Mention, Photography, Keith Jones for Alzheimer’s Walk (Oct. 16, 2013). See the art
- Honorable Mention, Sports Writing, “Track program ready for lift off” by Kalyn Hoyle.
- BCCA Awards
The contest results were announced on Feb. 8 2014 during the annual National HBCU Student News Media Conference held at Prairie View A&M University in Prairie View, Texas. The contest results reflect the 2013 spring, summer and fall semesters.
The BCCA awards presented to The A&T Register are:
Second Place: Best News Coverage, “Citizens Walk for Alzheimer’s” by Kimberly Fields.
Second Place: Best Student Newspaper [Non-Regular Production]
Third Place: Best Design – Broadsheet or Tabloid
2012-2013 Academic Year
- Second Place, Best News Coverage “Citizens Walk for Alzheimers”, Taylor Young
- Third Place, Broadsheet Design Second Place, Best Student Newspaper